Hawks’ Kane will be healthy for training camp

Chicago Blackhawks’ management and fans can take solance in the fact that superstar forward, Patrick Kane, will be fully healed and ready to go for training camp. Kane, who is coming off a strong 27 goal 73 point season, will be undergoing surgery for a fractured wrist sustained during training. “It was bothering me for a while. Lifting and those sorts of things didn’t help it,” said Kane, who is expected to heal in six to eight weeks. “It was obviously shocking (needing surgery), but I’ve grown to accept it and happy to be getting it fixed.” The former Hawks first round pick, who scored the 2010 Stanley Cup winning goal, actually first hurt his wrist in the second to last game of the regular season against the Detroit Red Wings. Things got worse during off-ice workouts and that’s when Kane decided to get some medical attention. Needless to say Hawks GM just wants Kane to rest and be healthy come training camp. “We just found out about it, within the last day or so. It was sore, he got it checked out, and it turned out it needed to be fixed,” Bowman said. “You don’t want injuries, but if you’re going to have them, summertime is the best time.”

Pens’ Crosby back on ice practicing

Pittsburgh Penguins’ management and fans received some great weekend news when it was revealled that captain, Sidney Crosby, has begun his on ice workouts. Crosby, who had 32 goals and 66 points before sustaining a season ending January concussion, is at home, and according tro GM,  Ray Shero, should be ready for training camp. “He’s at home and back on the ice and doing his off ice per a scheduled routine,” Shero said. “Plan is to continue to build up and be ready for training camp.”  As all hockey fans know Crosby has been battling severe concussiion problems since suffering blows to the head by Washington Capitals’ forward, David Steckel, back on January 1 and by Tampa Bay Lightning’s defenceman,Victor Hedman, a few days later.  In April Crosby, who will be 24 years-old in August, suffered a setback when he still experienced headaches during on ice workouts with his teammates.

A-Rod to miss the All-Star Game?

Next week’s MLB mideason classic might be missing one of its major stars in New York Yankees’ third baseman, Alex Rodriguez. According to the New York Post, Rodriguez, who is hitting .299 with 13 homeruns and 52 RBI’s, is still experiencing some discomfort after hurting his right knee back on June 19th against the Chicago Cubs. No final decisions have been made for Rodriguez, who on Wednesday enjoyed a two hit game against the Cleveland Indians. Showing true support for the fans Rodriguez stressed that, even if he doesn’t play, he will still show up in Arizona for the game.

Blues sign Arnott and Langenbrunner

Some might refer to it as a desperate measure but the St. Louis Blues are feeling mighty confident after signing two aging free agents in forwards, Jason Arnott and Jamie Langenbrunner. Both will be looked upon to make up for the offence that was lost when veteran scorer, Paul Kariya, still plagued by concusson symptoms, decided to retire. Arnott, who is 36 years-old, has a proven track record, which has seen him score 400 goals and over 900 points during his 17 years in the league. Still the fact can’t be ignored that Arnott, who was a former Edmonton Oilers first round draft pick, has shown signs of declining, which includes a 31 point season last year while playing with the New Jersey Devils and Washington Capitals. Arnott, who had his best season in Dallas with the Stars in 2006 (76 points), signed a one year deal, which included a $300,000 bonus clause along with a no-trade clause. Meanwhile Langenbrunner, who is a year younger, is coming off a disappointing season which saw him score only nine goals and 32 points in 70 games with the Stars and Devils. Langenbrunner is getting the same salary as Arnott, except the no-trade policy. In his career Langenbrunner has scored 237 goals and 638 total points. The Blues, who missed the playoffs last spring, have also resigned forwards, T.J. Oshie and Matt D’Agostini.

Connolly becomes a Maple Leaf

The Toronto Maple Leafs converted to plan B after failing to sign prized free agent forward. Brad Richards, to a long term contract. After Richards inked his signature on a contract with the New York Rangers it was back to work for the Leafs who went into action in signing another veteran forward, Tim Connolly. While the 30 year-old veteran has proven over the years to be a consistent set up man, the big question is whether he can stay healthy. Over the past six seasons Connolly, who has a bad history with concussion problems, has missed 190 games over the past six campaigns, due to various health reasons. That being said … Connolly who is a former New York Islanders 1999 first round pick, has dressed for 141 games over the past two seasons, which is the most since 2001/02-2002/03 seasons. Connolly, who is a 10 year veteran, had 13 goals and 42 points last year for the Buffalo Sabres and will get an opportunity with the Leafs to be the center for scoring winger, Phil Kessel.

Jagr turns down Pittsburgh Penguins offer

 

Jaromir Jagr has arguably become the biggest off-season story as he shocked the hockey world by turning down a one year contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins to sign with the Philadelphia Flyers. What made this such a big surprise was the strong speculation that Jagr, who spent the past three seasons in the KHL, would accept the one year deal being offered by Penguins GM Ray Shero. The 39 year-old who, before going to the KHL, had scored 646 career goals along with 1,599 points, signed a one year deal with the Flyers for 3.3 million. Prior to signing Jagr, who was a Penguins 1990 first round pick, expressed an interest in signing and ending his career back in Pittsburgh.  “We made what we thought was a very fair contract offer to Jaromir on Tuesday, based on his stated interest of returning to the Penguins,”  said Shero, who offered Jagr a one year 2 million dollar deal. “We made our best offer from the start, given our salary-cap structure, in an attempt to facilitate a deal. But now, after several days, with an extended time frame for making a decision and additional teams getting involved, we have decided to move in a different direction.” Jagr doesn’t agree with the many fans and management in Pittsburgh who believe that they were misled into thinking that he would sign with the team. “The Penguins seem like I did something wrong or something bad, and I don’t think I did something bad,” Jagr said. “If they feel like that, I cannot change their minds. I was a free agent, and I had my chance to pick wherever I think is best for me.”